I’ve been told an introduction is a good way to start a new blog. Instead of telling you all the things you can find in a google search, I think this intro should give you an idea of not only who I am as a professional but who I am as a person. So, with that, I give you ten basic things that shape who I am and why I do what I do.
1. I am a mom and I love being a mom. It is the hardest, best things I have ever done.
2. I believe in facing hard things. It’s easy to run and stick your head in the sand and sometimes even lie to yourself in avoidance of the hard things. But the hard things are where we grow.
3. "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." ~Albus Dumbledore (Yes, I loooooove Harry Potter!)
4. I am a wife. Also, one of the hardest, best things I have ever done. My marriage is something I choose to work at everyday (ok, if I’m being totally honest I have a pity party day here and there where the focus is me… but most days for sure!)
5. I love being a counselor! I get to hold space for thoughts and feelings that don’t belong to me knowing I will witness the power of this kind of support when change is happening. I get to be present for the true greatness of the human spirit as it faces hard things and comes out on the other side.
6. I am human. I make mistakes and I work very hard to own them and learn from them.
7. I think it is acceptable to have needs, a desire to have them met, and a drive towards fostering change in an effort to get those needs met.
8. I believe the choices we make and the emotions we experience are intertwined. We are in control of both, even when it doesn’t feel like it. Also, it’s ok for it not to feel like it.
9. I have learned that reaching for gratitude typically creates a positive response.
10. I know that no one is perfect and you do not have the power to change anyone but yourself.
I hope those ten things are helpful to you in some way whether you are a client or just joining my online community. The overall purpose of this blog is to open channels for communication and sharing. I will start with monthly posts about things I have absorbed and enjoyed during that month. I’m not sure what this will morph into but this is where I plan to start.
Thanks for joining me,
(Dubbed as such by my littler clients and I think it has a nice ring)